It's getting so huge that the game has already amassed more than 100,000 'friends' on Facebook, is being plastered all over Twitter by random people who glitter (Simon Pegg!) and is being talked about and generally showcased by dozens of media outlets. In fact, The LA Times asks if this could be "the best trailer in years".
All this over a teaser that doesn't even have any gameplay footage. Full release after the jump including some links to the above and a tiny little bit about the story-
Dead Island will be out this year for the PS3, Xbox 360, & PC.
Deep Silver was proud to reveal Dead Island, the new game by renowned developer Techland, last week. Since the reveal the emotional yet shocking Dead Island trailer – showing a family holiday getting interrupted by a violent and mysterious zombie outbreak - has created an incredible amount of buzz all through the internet.
The trailer for Dead Island has been one of the most talked about promotional assets on the internet in the last days and has been hailed a "Must See" and "one of the best game trailers of the year" throughout.
“We knew that we had something very unique with this trailer and we are very pleased by the positive feedback we received to the reveal of Dead Island and to its trailer.”, says Georg Larch, International Marketing Director of Deep Silver. “The trailer conveys the mood that the player will experience when their ingame character arrives on the island and suddenly this tropical holiday paradise turns into hell.”
Since its release the game and the trailer were prominently featured everywhere:
- more than 100.000 fans on the official Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/deadislandgame) in less than a week
- listed in the "Most Popular" category of YouTube, more than 2.7 million viewers and constantly rising
- featured on movie media like Variety, Ain't-It-Cool-News, Empire and SFX Magazine, and non-gaming media like The Guardian and The Independent
- immediately listed in the "Top 10 trending topics" on Twitter and close to 3.2 million Tweets about the game
- Tweeted by world famous entertainment stars like:
- Simon Pegg (Actor: "Shaun of the Dead", "Star Trek") (http://twitter.com/simonpegg)
- Zachary Levi (Actor: "Chuck") (http://twitter.com/zacharylevi): "Possibly the greatest trailer I've ever seen. For any project. Ever."
- Ice-T (Musician, Actor) (http://twitter.com/FINALLEVEL)
- Hideo Kojima (Game Designer: "Metal Gear Solid") (http://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN)
- Graham Linehan (Creator: "The IT Crowd") (http://twitter.com/Glinner)
The L.A. Times asks if this could be "The best trailer in years?"
CBS News ask: "Will Video Game Trailer Make You Cry Like a Baby?"
The New York Post says: "I want to visit Dead Island"
Dead Island™, the upcoming gruesome zombie slasher by renowned developer Techland, combines first-person action with a heavy focus on melee combat, character development and customization of a vast array of weapons. All of these gameplay features are presented in a dark story inspired by classic zombie movies with a gritty and engrossing campaign that can be played with up to four players in co-op mode.
Set in an open world tropical island, hordes of different festering zombies await players around every corner while they embark on a variety of thrilling missions through the holiday resort. With firearms and ammunition being scarce the player must rely on utilizing found items as weapons for self-defense and fight off zombie hordes in intense melee combat. A diverse range of items can be collected and will later serve to transform the player’s ordinary makeshift weapons into serious instruments of destruction.
Dead Island will be released worldwide for the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, the Xbox 360Òvideo game and entertainment system from Microsoft and Windows PC later this year.