Blizzard Entertainment today announced its plans for the official North American midnight launch event for StarCraft® II: Wings of LibertyTM, the long-anticipated sequel to 1998's critically acclaimed real-time strategy game, StarCraft. The event will take place at Fry's Electronics at 10800 Kalama River Avenue in Fountain Valley, CA, with activities starting at 9 p.m. on July 26, and sales of StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty beginning at midnight.
"We're looking forward to celebrating the launch of StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty with our community at the official launch event here in Southern California and at other locations worldwide," said Mike Morhaime, CEO and cofounder of Blizzard Entertainment. "This is something we've been working toward for several years, and we're excited to soon be able to share the results of that work with gamers around the world."
As well as being among the first to acquire the game, attendees will have an opportunity to meet developers from Blizzard Entertainment, who will be present to welcome players and sign their copies. Live music, exhibition matches, and Q&A sessions with Blizzard Entertainment developers will also take place onsite. More details about the event can be found at http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/events/starcraft2-midnight-openings.html.
After the break we've got a detailed look at the special edition of the game which will also be available for purchase- find out why it just might be worth that extra $40.00 *hint- it involves a pair of classic games and World of Warcraft. Yes they managed to get it tied into Starcraft...
Attendees will be able to purchase the standard edition of the game for a suggested price of $59.99 as well as the special Collector's Edition for a suggested price of $99.99. The Collector's Edition contains the following bonus items in addition to the game disc:
- The Art of StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty, a 176-page book featuring artwork from the game
- An exclusive 2GB USB flash drive replica of Jim Raynor's dog tag, which comes preloaded with the original StarCraft and the StarCraft: Brood War® expansion set
- A behind-the-scenes DVD containing over an hour of developer interviews, cinematics with director's commentary, and more
- The official StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty soundtrack CD, containing 14 epic tracks from the game along with exclusive bonus tracks
- StarCraft comic book issue #0, a prequel to the comic series
- A World of Warcraft® mini Thor in-game pet that can be applied to all World of Warcraft characters on a single Battle.net® account
- Exclusive Battle.net downloadable content, including special portraits for your Battle.net profile, decals to customize your units in-game, and a visually unique version of the terran Thor unit